Monday, January 15, 2007

US bloggers and gender genie

OK. The results are in.
US male bloggers: 20 out of 26 correct (78%) and 6 out of 26 wrong (22%).
US female bloggers: 8 out of correct (32%) and 17 out of 25 wrong (68%).
Bear in mind that not of all of the surveyed blogs were used - those which are mainly photos, for example, were not useful for this exercise since it needs a good amount of text to work with.
However, the finding appears to be that gender genie is a lot more accurate in identifying male bloggers than female ones!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And then there are those of us who deliberately try to fool it. ;-)

The Gender Genie got a lot of coverage recently on a transgender forum I read. It seems that trannies want "validation" of a different kind: that their writing is feminine!

I tried it on several passages on my blog and found it varied vastly from female to male. So I take that to mean the program isn't that accurate, and not that my writing varies enormously in gender! :-)

3:56 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yes, I have a feeling that I won't be using these results in any papers I write about my research...

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home